Subject: Re: FLASH: More text field scrolling questions
From: Robert Bleeker
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 02:15:28 +0100

You can use "_level1" but I find it easier to keep track of MC's inside MC's
that could be inside another MC. Get that? :-)
You can load a movie inside a movie inside a movie without having to worry
about what level you are on.

I suspect your text field is called "content", so make sure the text in the
text file is like this "content=all+the+news+etc..............." and your
"content" variable field is on the base level of your "news page" MC, then
you can address it directly with "/newsPage:content.scroll" or use the tell
target.

Robert

on 30/5/00 10:42 AM, Mark Sheppard at zach29atcolumbus [dot] rr [dot] com wrote:

> Ok I see what you are saying here, I have used placeholder MCs before.
> But do i then use a tell target to pass the variables on to the textfield?

> how to pass
> the variable "content.scroll" = content.scroll + 1 on to where it is
> interpreted.
>
> On (Press, Drag Over, Drag Out)
> Begin Tell Target ("news page")
> Set Variable: "clicks" = clicks + 1
> If (content.scroll < content.maxscroll)
> Set Variable: "content.scroll" = content.scroll + 1
> End If
> End Tell Target
> End On
>
> If so, couldn't the same thing be done in theform it sits now
> i.e. Begin Tell Target ("_level1")
>
> Please excuse me for being so dense I"ve never done any type of programming
> at all before.
> Mark Sheppard
> aka Zachnefein
> zach29atcolumbus [dot] rr [dot] com
>

>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> First you should load your "news page" into a placeHolder MC, this can be
>> blank MC (say with a name like "newsPage"), remember that the "news page"
>> MC's top left corner will load into the center of the blank "newsPage"
>> placeHolder.
>> Now you have a easy path to follow for Tell Target commands.
>>

>> Then you load your text into the MC "newsPage".
>>
>> ie. Load Variables ("news.txt", "newsPage")
>>

>> As for variable text file names, do this:
>>
>> Set Variable "whichNews"=1
>> Load Variables ("news"&whichNews&".txt", "newsPage")
>>
>> making sure that you have the URL field set to be an Expression.
>>
>> Hope this works for you.
>>
>> Robert
>>

>> on 30/5/00 7:21 AM, Mark Sheppard at zach29atcolumbus [dot] rr [dot] com wrote:
>>
>>> I have set up a scrollable text field also , which is importing from a
> text
>>> file. (tut. on Mooks)
>>>
>>> The problem I am running into is that I want to use continuous feedback
>>> buttons to control it, and don't know how to pass the variable "up?"a
> level
>>> from the MC that acts as the button.
>>>
>>> I have the main time line and a "news page" that is loading into level 1
>>> with the textfield.
>>> Then two MCs which are each 4 frames with 2 layers containing the
> buttons.
>>> Every other frame has a button with :
>>> *MC up arrow:
>>>
>>> On (Press, Drag Over, Drag Out)
>>> Set Variable: "clicks" = clicks + 1
>>> If (content.scroll < content.maxscroll)
>>> Set Variable: "content.scroll" = content.scroll + 1
>>> End If
>>> End On
>>>
>>> Also the variable "clicks" is used to set the text field back to line
> one
>>> when loading new text files (old news) so that variable also needs to be
>>> sent . (This works ok on a plain button so far)
>>> To load a new text file the button action is:
>>>
>>> On (Release)
> [...]

flasher is generously supported by...
World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer

Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com

Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent search for Shockwave
and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob Burgess, Matt
Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com