Subject: Re: FLASH: clicks and ticks in flash playback
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 17:53:25 +0100

At 09:44 AM 10/24/98 +0200, you wrote:

>Most of the times I have trouble getting clear music and sounds in flash
>playback. For example on the great and famous Gabo site, I get clicks and
>ticks already at the countdown numbers.
>

>Geoffrey

Hi Geoffrey,
Flash audio compression often introduces considerable distortion; it's one
of Flash's weaknesses and one reason why FlashPlayer is the preferred route
for combining Flash animation with quality audio -- Real Networks simply
has a better handle on audio compression.

I have not had your problem with Gabo's site, and my equipment is quite
similar to yours. It may be that your volume is turned up too high on your
SB card -- try using the Windows Volume Control
(Start>Programs>Accessories>Multimedia>Volume Control) to turn it down.

I've had to deal with lots of reports of noisy sound on my DartFrog site;
most of the complaints were resolved when I used lower volumes in my source
files. In my sound recording and editing program, I started normalizing at
75% instead of 97%, 'though I never experimented to find the optimal
levels. Then, in the Flash sound editing window, I try to keep the levels
about halfway up, never more than three-quarters up. I still get some
complaints of noise instead of music, or of extraneous static, but most
people now have no trouble with my site.

Keep in mind that when analog sound levels overload, the distortion may be
acceptably subtle. When digital sound levels overload, the distortion is
very obvious all at once. This can happen at the design end or at the user
end.

Marc Hoffman

View my Flash3 work: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/sampler>.
Play a virtual marimba: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog>.
Find out where my band performs: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/littlebird>.
Complain about self-promoting email signatures:
<marchofatjps [dot] net (subject: complaint) (mailto:marchofatjps [dot] net?subject=complaint)>