Subject: RE: FLASH: addressing variable in movie clip
From: David Owen
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 18:36:53 +0100

I do not want to store a variable in itself. This was my uneducated attempt
to get it to work. I am using the variable to determine if a condition is
true and if it is, do something in the movie clip. As I understand it your
example is the same as mine except it is a string instead of an expression.
Also, using trace I have determined that the button is generating the
expected value, I just don't know how to write the code in the MovieClip so
that it is recognized.

I am trying to duplicate the functionality mentioned in the manual on page
193.

This whole variable business really needs to be better documented. So far
the third party tutorials, while helpful are still thin to adequately
educate on this issue.

I realize a lot of you out there are programmers, so you already know how to
think about these issues. However some of us came to this from art, design
and animation and are new to the code business. So thanks in advance for
your patient help.

owen

<owenatseanet [dot] com>
>Subject: Re: FLASH: addressing variable in movie clip
>Date: Thu, Oct 28, 1999, 6:46 AM
>

> --- reply ---
> The button probably doesn't store the value 1 in "blu", try: "/blu_mc:blu" =
> "1"
>
> When comparing a variable to a value, try using the next line:
> if (blu eq "1")
>

> And for this line: set Variable: "blu" = blu
> I'm not sure why you want to store a variable in itself.
>
> I hope this reply was usefull,
>
> Greetings,
> Dirk Dulfer
> dirkatrem-reclame [dot] nl
>

> --- original ---
> I am trying to do something simple in addressing a variable inside a movie
> clip just to understand how it works.
>
> I have a button on stage which does this:
> On (Release)
> Set Variable: "/blu_mc:blu" = 1
> End On
>
> where blu_mc is the movie clip and blu is a variable inside the movie clip.
> The movie clip has a frame action which says:
> Set Variable: "blu" = blu
> If (blu = 1)
> Go to and Stop (2)
> End If
>
> Now of course this doesn't work because I am not sure how to define the
> variable so that it is waiting for a value to be passed to it. I am sure
> there is some simple protocall here which is not covered in the manual (even
> though the manual says you can do this).
>
> The button and the MC are on different layers and there is only one frame on
> stage, in case that matters.
>
> Please help a poor code illiterate pixel monkey.
>
> Owen

flasher is generously supported by...