Subject: Re: UKNM: problems measuring site speed
From: Steve Mynott
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 15:45:04 +0100

On Mon, Apr 12, 1999 at 11:24:43AM +0100, Charles Linn wrote:
> I am looking for a way to measure the comparative speed of our web pages. What

Well what you are looking for is a way of measuring the network link
speed... and you would have to access it from various points all over
the net...

I doubt you will end up with any useful results and I would be
suspicious of any company who claim you will...

> this with downloads of the same page from other peoples sites. All I have to
> go on is that our SNMP stats currently show that our connection is saturated,
> which is rather a crude estimate of speed problems. If anyone has any

If the connection at your end is saturated then that will be the
bottleneck ... buy a faster link or cut down on the gifs..

--
1024/D9C69DF9 steve mynott steveattightrope [dot] demon [dot] co [dot] uk http://www.pineal.com/

"never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by stupidity."