Subject: RE: UKNM: Boo's special offer
From: Stewart Dean
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 11:08:44 +0100

> <whinge>I reckon shopping for clothes on the Net is a
> complete pain if you
> live in the UK. During a recent attempt to kit out my Summer
> wardrobe, I
> couldn't find a Gas denim jacket, a Levi denim jacket, nor a
> Diesel hooded
> top in any colour except cream (Diesel's UK range is very limited). I
> tried buying Oakley sunglasses online: you can only purchase
> them if you
> live within Alaska, Hawaii or the States. Well... that's not
> much use to
> me.</whinge>
>
> In contrast, I found a nice parlour palm for my flat within

> minutes... :)

Sounds a bit like Chiswick in West London - you can buy plants, food and a
mobile phones from one of the many mobile phone shops (and I mean many) but
can you buy jeans and boxer shorts? Nope.

It appears product lines in most online stores are secondary to the intent -
and it's not just the UK that does this.

In New York there are two competing services Kozmo and Urban Fetch that
offer delivery of videos and that kind of thing. Kozmo has a food section
and, feeling lazy on Sunday, was prepared to give it a go. Logged in, put in
my zip code (after finding it on the post office site) and found that
breakfast to Kozmo consisted of Crispie Creame doughnuts. Much as I like
these far superior to dunkin 'baked goods' they're far from breakfast.

Retailers (except for in Chiswick it appears) usually understand the need to
have things people want to buy - someone should tell the online upstarts.

The Internet is a bit like prison - you can get anything you want providing
you know who can get it.

Cheers

> Stewart Dean - SDeanatscient [dot] com
> Customer Experience
> Scient*: The eBusiness Systems Innovator*
> Be part of an epic - send CVs to
Belegendary-in-londonatscient [dot] com

Affiliate Solutions Seminar - London, England
A one day seminar for Merchants and Affiliates which
focuses on Revenue Sharing and Affiliate Marketing
for the online industry. Being held April 26, 2000, at the
MayFair Inter-Continental. http://seminars.internet.com