Subject: Re: UKNM: Childrens Online Privacy Protection Act
From: Lee.Rickler
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 18:28:41 +0100

So? does this mean that when I visit Excite cookies are set BUT when I pop
into the garden and leave my 7yo boy surfing, if he visits Excite all
cookies are off?
Yeah! Right! Like!!!

Seems to me that they are making it up as they go along.

Lee

Sam Michel
<sam@chinwag. To: uk-netmarketingatchinwag [dot] com
com> cc:

Hiya Gang...

Anyone got any comments (our learned friends perhaps?) on the Childrens
Online Privacy Protection Act? I got an email from Excite saying something
about changing their email system to comply with it. The law is being
instituted by the Federal Trade Commission in the US.

I haven't read up on this, so please excuse any incorrect interpretations,
but this law means a site can't gather any information on a child under 13
without parental consent including setting a cookie on the child's machine.
I don't know if there's a way round this with a disclaimer, but it would
seem the consequences are far-reaching.

I may well have missed some nuance. Any comments? Anyone know how this
affects UK-based sites?

Toodle Pip

Sam
Sam Michel - Founder - http://www.chinwag.com
e: samatchinwag [dot] com

Affiliate Solutions Seminar - London, England
A one day seminar for Merchants and Affiliates which
focuses on Revenue Sharing and Affiliate Marketing
for the online industry. Being held April 26, 2000, at the
MayFair Inter-Continental. http://seminars.internet.com