Subject: Re: UKNM: BarclaySquare - from bad to worse ?
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 13:45:36 +0100

kirstie [dot] hillatissolutions [dot] co [dot] uk wrote:

> And Tesco's selling pensions and Internet access, Mark &
>Spencers selling loans ...

There is nothing new in retailers offering financial packages. This has been
going on for many years, with the obvious tie-in with consumer spending.

Tesco selling Internet access is another thing entirely. By offering
Internet access Tesco is offering a real customer benefit which, in my view,
will also benefit the industry as a whole. The reason being that Tesco can
offer a high level of customer service and, more importantly, consumer
confidence, than any of the current dial-up services.

If an ordinary Tesco shopper can get into the Internet, you have to all
intents and purposes taken away the final barrier to the Internet as a mass
medium in the UK.

I must at this point state an interest since I have an indirect commercial
involvement in the project. But before I even knew about their plans I would
have said (and did say) that what the Internet in the UK needs is for Tesco
to sell it.

I have always regarded UK ISPs as shabby, technical outfits who always feel
that would have a lot more fun if it were not for the customers.

Tesco has laid the foundations for a radical change in approach.