Subject: Re: UKNM: International Competitions
From: Justine Koder
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:25:27 +0100

Actually, I was always lead to believe that in the UK the price of a stamp
or a local phone bill does not constitute an entrance fee according to the
code of sales promotion practice - it only becomes an entrance fee once you
use a premium rate line or similar and then it falls into the murky world of
the lottery and gaming act (so you have to turn it into a competition -
skill and judgement and no purchase necessary - rather than a 'free prize
draw')

Regards

Justine

----------
>From: "Laurence Grayson" <lgraysonatmsn [dot] com>
>To: <uk-netmarketingatchinwag [dot] com>
>Subject: Re: UKNM: International Competitions
>Date: Wed, Aug 2, 2000, 11:15 am
>

> Unfortunately, rumblings about the charges associated with making an
> Internet connection are really making this a difficult one to settle.
>
> As with most areas of Web law, there are huge grey areas, but this one has
> potential to get really complicated.
> The argument is fairly simple - the customer is paying for the phone bill
> (in most cases) and this could be considered as an entrance fee as it's
> generating revenue for the site.
>
> I'm currently working for a company that's got some major interests in
this
> subject - we've not got anything solid to report at the moment (can't you
> tell?) but I'll try and keep you posted if this issue gets resolved.
>
> Cheers!
> Laurence

[Sam says: msg chopped]

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036