Subject: Re: UKNM: Web Design Agencies
From: Sam Carrington
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 17:32:21 +0100

That was overly harsh IMHO - as a piece of information design it does
need some work but as a piece of creative it excellently captures the
work and style of amon tobin - its obviously intended to preach to the
converted - and as such it is a great success. It not only engaged me to
explore it and admire it, but other people looking over my shoulder too.

When will marketeers understand that it is sometimes alright to indulge
in a bit of creativity for its own sake. Its not an ecommerce front end,
its a teaser; a trailer. Art w*nk perhaps, but innovative and
interesting too.

I loved the sequencer, and some of the use of rendered images was great.
Good colours too. All in all a very good looking poster. Are you going
to have a go at David Carson now because his text is hard to read?
Designers Republic because they cover their lovely photos in strangely
coloured masks? volumeone.com because he's not selling anything? Dogme
fillms because they dont use the same rules as hollywood pap?

Music is an abstract art form, therefore it strikes me as legitimate
that a multimedia/hypertext representation of a musical work should
contain some level of abstraction.

After 5 minutes I was entertained, had an engaging experience, and was
left with a nice warm 'I like amon tobin' and 'I like hi-res' feeling.
Oh and it stayed stable on my panrix, but then its not as creaky as a
vaio ;-)

I could rant for longer but I really can't be bothered getting into
another circular 'we love/hate flash' debate. If you want to use it, do;
if you don't dont.

Chill out michael, have a cuppa and enjoy the abstractions that
hypertext allows. Its not always about selling books (its about selling
albums too *g*).

--
sam carrington // senior web developer // sensei.co.uk

This e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is
intended solely for the addressee. Access to this e-mail by anyone
else is unauthorised. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken
in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036