Subject: Re: UKNM: Web Design Agencies
From: John Braithwaite
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 15:31:17 +0100

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:06:57 +0100
From: Duncan Clubb <duncanatoffworld [dot] net>

I stand by my comment - design is one of many tools used to realise the
elements of a marketing mix. Would you count printing, laminating,
stapling, etc. as part of the marketing mix? These may be somewhat more
*base* parts of the production process, but design itself is only a step
towards producing corporate identity, personality, and the rest.
Marketing and design are separate skills, and I'm not devaluing either
of them - just drawing a distinction between design and the products of
design. Didn't really think I was being that controversial.
</eek>
duncan

JB writes:
I think design is crucial to a website - but what I beleive is the main
problem is that poor website design is because some are more concerned with
the graphical and aesthetic appeal of a site rather than the main two
issues: navigation and communication (to the end-user). A good designer will
realise that a website has to function as well as look good, a bad designer
just wants to produce 'eye-candy' for his/her portfolio.

re: flash - best used as cartoons - to sell to kids! If you want to be taken
seriously, then bin Flash.

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036