Subject: Re: UKNM: Competition Sites
From: jason
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 19:09:26 GMT

On 12 Dec 00, at 15:00, Sarah Thomas wrote:

> www.loquax.com
> www.just4.co.uk/just4competitions.htm

The above are one and the same.

> Another point to consider is, are the people that enter all
> these sites, the type of person who will be interested in your site. Will
> their captured email address be valiable? Maybe they are, but it's worth
> looking into!!!

Really depends whether you want to consider your competition in a
positive or negative way.

There seems to be some bizarre marketing science that taints
people who do competitions that I don't understand.

But, if that person has a positive experience on your site (either
because they won, enjoyed the content, even bought something),
tells another, tells another etc etc (as people do) and they all visit
then does that not then make them valuable (a kind of viral
marketing without having to force your users to spam people).

As far as I see a competition isn't just something you bung on the
site and then go "good user" "bad user" - you can use it during it's
run (e.g ask questions that are about your site/topic, revolve the
questions to catch out people who share answers) and afterwards
(which so many sites fail to do, i.e. naming winners, informing
entrants the comps over, but this is what's new etc.) to stay in
touch with people and to get them interested in what you have to
offer.

The value shouldn't be in the email address you've just collected,
but in how you use the information generated from the competition
and how *you* then work to convert those people into sales, users
or whatever.

Jason

--
Loquax - http://www.loquax.co.uk - The UK's Competition Portal
Tel. 0191 270 0255 Mobile. 0777 376 8548