Subject: RE: UKNM: Tesco (was Toys R Us!)
From: Leslie Bunder
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 16:55:17 GMT

Some charge, some don't, some waive it for the first year and then say
they will chartge later eg: Barclays. I suspect, once customers get it
for free or see someone else offering it for free eg: Nationwide,
Citibank, First Direct then it is difficult for the bank to charge
unless there is some added value to the free cost.

And also, free online/PC banking also involves making a phonecall! I
note that one of the banks, used to/still does charge a national rate
telephone call to access its PC banking services!

In theory, branch banking and phone is free, but you pay for the charges
elsewhere!

Alas, free banking is never really free, there are hidden costs that
allow it to be "free".

Leslie

infoatqiq [dot] co [dot] uk said:

"It is interesting that the banks charge for PC & Internet
banking that are supposedly cheaper to service, yet Phone and
Branch banking is free - at least for a personal account!"

Leslie Bunder, technology writer, Teletext on the Web

e-mail: LBunderatteletext [dot] co [dot] uk (work) or leslieatbunder [dot] com (home)
web: http://www.teletext.co.uk

tel: 0171 386 3667 (inside UK) or +44 171 386 3667 (outside UK)

mobile: 07010 701967 (inside UK) or +44 7010 701967 (outside UK)