Subject: Re: UKNM: The Big Retailers - was Toys R Us
From: Steve Johnston/IMRG
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 19:41:50 GMT

---Steve Johnston/IMRG <steveatimrg [dot] org> wrote:

>> >But you haven't addressed the issue of exclusion - and I doubt whether
>> >many on this list even consider the fate of those living on or below
>> >the poverty line. The gross distortions caused to the global economy
>> >by the activities of transnational corporations are I imagine 'dull as
>> >dishwater'.
>>
>> You are right. Sajid, because I don't know how. And whilst we can all fret
>> about our impotence to make a difference, we conveniently get on wth our
>> own personal wealth creation.
>
>*YOU* are very welcome to fret about your impotence, Steve. *I* for
>one absolutely stubbornly refuse to acknowledge my inability - whether
>as an individual or within a group - to make any kind of difference.

Sajid, I am not offended by your patronising manner, but I am concerned
that you misinterpreted me and I do not enjoy being a convenient target of
your self-righteousness. I never said 'I don't want to', I did not
acknowledge an 'inability' and I never intended to sound complacent. I have
three children that I am trying to prepare for a life I cannot imagine in a
world of diminishing certainties. I care deeply about the 'lot' of others
and of the effect of deprivation - you do even more so when you are a
parent. But I am without strategies or even tactics for fitting this into
my life right know, other than by dropping pennies in the Comic Relief pot
and buying the odd copy of The Big Issue. I am aware that this is a
depressingly ordinary contribution, hence I *fret* about my impotence. I am
willing but exhausted.

My comment was self-critical, as in *we* includes me. And I do not attempt
to defend my self-interest. But complacent, no. Pitiful slaves to commerce,
yes. Suggestions gratefully received.

I'd be interested to learn how you are addressing online exclusion in your
work or leisure time.

In the meantime I am going to start using smilies again.

Steve Johnston