Subject: Re: UKNM: UK Internet Firms Aid Cops.
From: Sajid Mohammed
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 08:42:34 GMT

---Stefan Magdalinski <stefanatisness [dot] org> wrote:

> Am I the only person who thinks that the behaviour of the ISPA and the
> ISPs involved is absolutely disgraceful?

Definitely. Neither ACPO nor ISPA are statutory bodies and therefore
are unaccountable as such. Private meetings will always inspire a fear
that the matters discussed are not to the benefit of the public. We do
not pay money to ISPs in order for them to sell our interests down the
river.

It's not only ACPO either - if you watched The Money Programme last
night, you will have seen that the record industry are trying to make
companies like BT responsible for pirated content online as publishers
as opposed to common carriers. Good luck - you are going to need it.

If ISPA continue to go down this road ad hoc, then all they will do is
create a new sector of ISPs who *guarantee* that your communications
will remain unmolested.

And if the Police are to intrude upon people's communications then
they need to realise that a) we need proper consultation before
legislation is drafted rather than meetings behind closed doors with
unelected representatives of the net community and b) net users are
far more cunning than the average career bureaucrat.

SM