Subject: RE: UKNM: free pc
From: Sean Phelan
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 12:55:07 GMT

Well, a variant of it worked in France in the 80s.

France Telecom distributed millions of Minitel terminals and operated
the portal sites ( le 11, 3615, etc) and the billing system. It is/was
very close to the Freeserve model, in that the network charges are
bundled into the per-minute call charges.

Of course, they took the truly visionary approach of paying the content
providers a substantial revenue share, and that part was all automated
and was built in to the billing system.

There were a large number of government and academic studies right up
to the mid 90s that tried to assess whether the whole exercise had been
profitable for France Telecom and for France Inc. The conclusions were
usually that is was marginally profitable if you excluded externalities
like employment, social good, education, etc., and very profitable if
you include them.

But I don't expect Dixons to give away the PCs to get the call minutes!!

Cheers
Sean