Subject: Re: [uk-netmarketing] RE: fall of the dotcoms?
From: Ashley Pomeroy
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 10:29:18 -0000

>>>>a punishing crash<<<<

The current dot-com shakeout is nothing new. The mid-80s video games crash
is a perfect mirror. I think I posted a lengthy article here about Imagine
software a while back. Here it is again:

http://www.nvg.ntnu.no/sinclair/imagine.htm

"In summing up his unique experience in watching the death of the software
giant, BBC director Paul Andersen said, 'It was a fascinating time in a
city at the focus of the software business. It's a shame it all fell apart
- there were a lot of talented people there who were let down. It's a bit
like a movie that never got made, all the technicians and all the energy,
but the producers failed. It's going to be interesting to see what will
come of them all.'"

Replace the names and dates and it's the same story - people lend money to
a load of hot air, the money gets burned, everything falls apart.
If anybody knows where you can get a copy of the abovementioned programme
('Commercial Breaks', BBC, 1984) I would be happy.

-
"In the land of the blonde, the blondest man is king"
Ashley Pomeroy - arpatslab [dot] org - http://www.ashleypomeroy.com/