Subject: RE: UKNM: top 10 client questions
From: Toby Hopkins
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 11:06:01 GMT

upfront about money from the start. Noone much likes talking about money
(except Murdoch maybe) but you have to do it, and be obscenely explicit
about it. Before they agree to hire you, you must go through the whole
money thing.
Ask them how they get the bills paid - who has to authorise, do they
have to wait on money coming in before they pay out, what their normal terms
are, what payment terms they expect from people giving them money, what they
do when they have a creditor who needs payment urgently. Make them think
about the situation of paying you late before you get there: "Mr Client,
what do you think will happen if you don't pay me at the end of the month?
Will I be able to afford to keep working for you? Will my children go
hungry? What can you do to get the money out of your accounts dept in that
situation?" Get a clear future about how much, when & by what means you
are going to be paid - & the minute that they fail to deliver on any element
of this process, ring them up and say "on 18th Jan you said you would... &
now you are.... What are you going to do to put that right?"