Subject: Re: UKNM: Libel (was Lastminute.com...website or webhype?)
From: Quentin Langley
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 14:18:47 GMT

Bizarrely even shops that sell a libellous book,
magazine or newspaper can be sued. This was
discoverec by the late Robert Maxwell, who realised
that while publishers might have evidence to back up
what they said about him WH Smiths and John Menzies
would not. Ensuring that books were not distributed
was as good as ensuring they were not published. This
was a loophole, which the law had never intended, and
which now covers ISPs as well.

The previous government had plans to change the law so
that innocent distributors - and had this happened it
would probably have protected ISPs - were not liable.

The Blair government cancelled plans for this
legislation.