Subject: UKNM: Selling domain names
From: Severina Publications
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 12:52:55 GMT

Yoiks! Someone out there touched a nerve!

There's a big difference between the following scenarios:

1)
Mr A sees that www.mcdonalds.com is still available and decides to purchase
it in the hope that he can make millions selling it.

That's stupid

2)
Mr B sees that www.divorcelawyer.com is still available and buys it in the
hope that one day someone will purchase it from him for far more than he
paid for it.

That's greedy

3)
Ms C works for weeks with a company, purchases the domain name
www.itvacancies.co.uk, she and her team put in over 100 hours of programming
work for THE ultimate jobsite, company involved disappears from the face of
the earth so Ms C is left to find a buyer for the domain name, at the
highest price possible, in order to recoup some of her losses.

That's business

No-one in their right mind would purchase trademark names these days, but it
is possible that scenarios 2 and 3 happen a lot. 2 may be greedy, but it's
life, and it happens. We're all here to make a profit in most cases - web
designers that use my services and then place a 500% mark up on them -
they're doing it, it's exactly the same.

Some of us are stuck in the number 3 situation and are looking to get some
money back on the time and effort invested in a project, some of us are just
out to make a profit on something we bought.

How many of you out there sell everything on at cost? Cos, hey, if that's a
profitable business notion, then i'm happy to follow it, but let's face it,
we all add a mark up to things we sell on, whatever it may be.

Or maybe i've got it wrong and that plus figure in my bank account at the
end of each month is a bad thing, not a good one.......

<wanders off scratching head and muttering>

Nikki
Severina Publications
Because Internet Marketing Is More Than Just Great Design
http://www.severina.co.uk infoatseverina [dot] co [dot] uk (mailto:infoatseverina [dot] co [dot] uk)
Tel: +44 (0)1908 605115/675070 Fax: +44 (0)1908 692555
ICQ: 9330127