Subject: Re: UKNM: Marketing Quality Domains
From: Robb Masters
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 16:35:12 GMT

On Thursday, January 20, 2000, Lee Bryant <Leeattmg [dot] co [dot] uk> wrote:
>Then Robb Masters wrote:
>
> >Buying up generic names such as business.com before the masses realise the
>value is an entrepreneurial initiative that deserves to be
>applauded.
>
>I reserve my applause for entrepreneurial initiative that actually *creates*
>something or at least fulfills a need.
[snip]
>It is a waste of resources because money is siphoned off from the value
>chain by parasites who contribute nothing whatsoever in return. Why do you
>applaud that?

Do you really believe that if it wasn't for "cybersquatters", lots of good generic names would still be available? I don't. Therefore, it could be said that cybersquatters keep these names aside for those who REALLY want them, and are prepared to pay over the odds to get them - like tickets touts, or the DVLA and fancy number plates.

Nobody needs a good generic name - it *may* give you a headstart, but with a bit of imagination there's still plenty of potential. I think lack of imagination is the big problem here. "I want to start up a new supermarket online. Oh no, supermarket.com has been taken by cybersquatters*! Bastards. What will I do now?" How about (5 minutes of whois later) theweeklyshop.com, myweeklyshop.com or yourweeklyshop.com - all still available!

So my point is this. Certain parties speculated to accumulate and invested in something they thought would make a good return when they sold it. In a number of cases they were successful in doing so. This is called good business. Nobody was harmed in them doing so. Nobody had to pay them for the domain names. If they hadn't registered them then chances are that they wouldn't be available now (if only to the highest bidder). Why should anyone have a problem with this? Apart from anyone who didn't do it first... which I suspect is the root of the problem. These grapes really are sour. :-)

Declaration of interest: I own webstir.co.uk. Big money spinner, that is! Any 6 figure offers? ;-)

End of spiel. I feel like I'm in a minority here, so I'll duck back behind my parapet now...

* This is just an example for illustrative purpose. I'm not suggesting the owners of supermarket.com are cybersquatters - even if the domain name was registered in 1994 and there's no sign of a web site there...

Regards,

Robb (robb_mastersatgyro [dot] co [dot] uk)
==
Robb Masters, Head of New Media.
Gyro New Media, 1/9 Harbour Yard, Chelsea Harbour, London SW10 0XD.
Tel: 0171 349 4541. Fax: 0171 351 3318. Mobile: 07880 788 833.