Subject: Re: UKNM: unmetered telecommunications
From: Stefan Magdalinski
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 13:05:05 +0100

Rick Sareen wrote:

> Yesterday OFTEL issued its consultative document on Access to Bandwith.
> http://www.oftel.gov.uk/competition/llu0799.htm.
>
> The document is fairly complex, but the bottom line is that they have gone
> for Option 2: BT will be forced to unbundle the local loop by July 2001
> and the rolling out of ADSL will begin almost immediately.
>
> Today's issue of Marketing has a 2 page article on the subject of
> unmetering (page 25) that sets out all the issues in a clear fashion. (But
> was written before the OFTEL judgement.)
>
> This ends BT's hegemony and opens the way for significant e-commerce
> developments and opportunities.
>
> This is what the beginning of an S-Curve feels like :-)

I wish I had your optimism.

I am astonished at the fact that in 8 years of living in central london,
in at least 6 houses, 15 years after 'competition' was introduced, I've
never had an alternative to BT for my phone supply.

and not once, during all those moves, have BT ever managed to connect
the phone up on the date they promised. until I moved onto a boat that
is.

stefan

--
/**
Stefan Magdalinski *new!* mobile:07931 376142