Subject: Re: UKNM: NetNames Forwarding
From: Robb Masters
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 11:02:27 +0100

Reply to: Re: UKNM: NetNames Forwarding
Azeem wrote:
> 1. Create the zero-size frame, this way the URL remains www.myurl.com (even
> though the underlying links on that page have a URI format similar to the
> one listed below)

Which means that:
* They prevent the site from being accessed by certain users (legacy system users, the visually impaired).
* They make the creation of bookmarks difficult � as the book mark only stores the top level frame (and implicitly its default content) as opposed to the current frame or set of frames.
* They make quoting URLs for specific pages difficult.
* They make appropriate links from search engines difficult.

> 3. Muck around with the DNS, pointing www.myurl.com to an IP number with a
> Web site. The server you're dealing with needs to either (1) have a virtual
> server attached to that IP number (2) no how to translate www.myurl.com to
> the right filespace.

I love the loaded language! How about "correctly configure the DNS"? But granted you do need the server facilities you describe - although I suspect the majority of their clients do have virtual servers.

> 1 and 2 are just much easier (and are what come.to etc provide).

Adding an A NAME record to a DNS file isn't exactly rocket science! 30 seconds work tops.

And one slight difference - come.to is free, NetNames is not.

> 3 requires configuration on both the (1) netnames side (2) server hosting side.
> > expediency, rather than big brother, my guess.

That *may* be the reason, but it still gives them access to information that their clients might reasonably expect they would not have access to. Of course, *if* they explain all this to their clients, that's fine...

Regards,

Robb (robb_mastersatgyro [dot] co [dot] uk)
==
Robb Masters, Head of New Media.
Gyro New Media, 1/9 Harbour Yard, Chelsea Harbour, London SW10 0XD.
Tel: 0171 349 4541. Fax: 0171 351 3318. Mobile: 07880 788 833.