Subject: UKNM: a few random thoughts from a lurker
From: Rod Begbie
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 12:37:29 +0100

> Actually, the thing that winds me up about all this unmetered baloney is
> that access may be unmetered in the US but it's not free - subscribers pay
> fairly large monthly rentals for the privelege of unmetered local calls
> (and for Universal Service Provision).

Nonsense. I pay $9 a month for rental -- $27 a quarter is less than BT.
And my international calls back to the UK are 9c a minute, 24 hours, which
is cheaper than it used to be to call long distance in the UK at peak rates!

(And I'll refrain from mentioning the $40-a-month I pay for my 300kbps cable
modem. That would just be cruel).

Regarding page3.com -- I seem to remember page3.co.uk existing many years
ago, run by the people at god.co.uk, which I'm surprised to see still exists
(as does x-stream.com! bloddy heck -- what sort of mug would sign up with
them now.)

Hello Mr Pandini.

Amazon.com are not in the business of selling books -- they are in the
business of gathering personal information. Discuss. (See also
AllAdvantage.com -- Selling advertising *and* getting stats on what websites
people visit -- seems like a winner)

rOD.
--
Rod Begbie @ http://www.begbie.com |