Subject: RE: UKNM: Import Duty [was: Fulfillment hell, epilogue]
From: Ian Fenn
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 14:26:41 +0100

At 04:44 06/06/00 -0700, Peter Borg wrote:
>Ok, going off-topic slightly, but...
>
>--- Leslie Bunder <lbunderatinfospace [dot] co [dot] uk> wrote:
> > the biggest problem with ignoring those letters is that, when you
> > use the DHL/FedEx services you accept the terms and conditions of
> > the shipping company. so they are within the rights...
>
>I wonder if this applies? As the person being delivered to, I didn't
>select the service provider, it was selected by the company that sent
>me whatever it was that was sent. Consequently, I wonder if they
>really /can/ make the recipient responsible for costs?

Yes.

>I'd be
>suprised if UK law allows this.

You're about to be surprised.

>In theory, you could be held
>responsible for some really ridiculous costs and fees just by
>accepting a delivery.

I recently investigated this at http://www.hmce.gov.uk/ and the recipient
is, under UK law, responsible for paying the VAT on goods imported into
this country.

This is probably the most significant page:

http://www.hmce.gov.uk/notices/702.htm

I looked into this as I purchased Dreamweaver 3 from Macromedia's site and
a month after receiving the software was sent one of the aforementioned
invoices from DHL.

In the end, after a lot of arguing, Macromedia refunded my credit card with
the total of the DHL invoice so that I could pay it. My POV was:

1. I ordered the product after entering via Macromedia's UK site and I felt
that UK visitors should be alerted of any hidden charges.
2. During the ordering process I was actually told that the final page
would show the final amount including tax, shipping, etc.
3. They wouldn't accept the return of the software as 30 days had expired.

I understand that they are now working on the site to ensure that
International customers are aware of the fact it may well be cheaper to buy
the product from a UK reseller.

>Interesting, in the 3 (I think) cases I've recieved these, I just
>ignored them, and haven't heard anything since. Having said that,
>none of the invoices were for more than gbp15 or gbp20 - I doubt it's
>worth the money they'd spend chasing it.

I suggest that you pay the VAT and ignore the handling charge. IMHO the
latter should be included in the fee the sender has paid DHL.

All the best,

--
Ian Fenn
Director, Chopstix Media Limited