Subject: Re: UKNM: New Media vs Old Hat
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 10:39:27 +0100

Richard Stephens <stephens [dot] ratbhwg [dot] com> said:

> No, I must say I agree with Tim Heyward at JWT. So much bad advertising
is
> down to bad clients - whether they be dot coms or other companies with
> little or no track record as marketers.

Clearly there is a problem with lack of experience in some dot.coms. Even
where the individuals are experienced, the organisation lacks any history,
any experience and, as Tim pointed out, any proven route to market.

But surely one of the jobs you would expect a decent full service agency to
do for its dot.com clients is to coach them through the process and provide
strategic advice (sorry Tim, can't think of a better description)? Instead,
as Tim's insider view indicated, the ad agency boys are more likely to go in
for the kill at the first sniff of a seven figure budget.

We are not, by any stretch of the imagination, a full service agency. But we
write the campaign brief for at least 80% of our clients. Given that we are
operating in a very new market this is understandable.

If some traditional agencies, with supposedly many more years of experience
than we have, cannot be bothered to even attept to do this, then I think
their future servicing dot.com business (or any other new businesses for
that matter) is in grave doubt.

The dot.com biz has a lot to learn about marketing. And if Tim's view is
anything to go by, the first thing is to not cut your finger when swimming
with JWT salesmen.

Ray Taylor