Subject: RE: UKNM: Interstitials
From: Bharat Karavadra
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:28:53 GMT

>From past experience, if you want visitors to register their email address,
the best place to do it is on the home page. However I have found that this
only works if it only the email address that you are requesting - it would
obviously be intrusive if a whole form with multiple fields was placed on
the page. In terms of putting a 'click here to register' - again, if it just
the email address, you may as well put a text field with a 'register for
newsletters' (or alike) - it's probably not going to use an more space than
the advert. Regarding the request itself, only visitors interested in the
site/company will register and what better way to build a database of
interested visitors.

In summary, my view is that you should put a simple request and form on the
home page or an advert to a larger form on another page.

Either way only interested visitors will complete the form and hence you
have a quality, if only small, marketing database. I have found this most
effective in the early days when we really did need to communicate only to
visitors interested in our business. The process of building up an
interested visitors mailing list has been slow, however on mailing these
visitors with news and links back to our site, over 80& of them have
returned after reading the newsletter. On that note I will stop waffling - I
can't remember what the original questions was.

Bharat Karavadra

CTO
Net.cubator.com
Direct Tel: +44(0)20 7362 0511
http://net.cubator.com
Internet Incubator providing start-up finance,
management infrastructure and
business experience for new projects.