Subject: Re: UKNM: Site Inspection
From: Richard Longhurst
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 11:25:45 GMT

Having written about a few Web sites in my time, I'm deeply hurt that Ray
finds my
contributions tedious and absurd. ;-) So why do all these PR folk keep
phoning and
e-mailing me to get me to write about their sites? Because editorial in
print
media is a good way of driving traffic -- amazingly, people still believe
what
they read in the papers.

Many people don't have the time to visit several Web sites in a vain hunt to
find
a good one. A decent review will save the reader the bother of going to
www.anotherpoxywebsite.com and tell them to go straight to
www.abloodygreatwebsite.com instead -- there is as much value in warning
against
as there is in recommending. Wouldn't it be handy if search engines could
make the
same distinction between the good and bad? I'm sure that some people do
derive
vicarious pleasure from Web site reviews (or am I deluding myself?).

As for site inspection, it might be more useful to compare sites that are
aimed at
a similar audience, rather than go for a rag-bag selection - pet shops, MP3
portals (Vitaminic, Peoplesound etc), shopping directories. Hang on a
minute...

Richard
--
Richard Longhurst - 2020Shops - http://www.2020shops.com/