Subject: Re: UKNM: .com vs .co.uk - UK consumer understanding?
From: Sean Phelan
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 18:29:26 +0100

>Nik Finan wrote:
> >
> > Exactly Billy.
> >
> > So what does everyone think about Icelands idea to rename it's stores
> > Iceland.co.uk?
> >

>not worthy of debate?
>
>stefan

Actually I think it is a good move (I just wrote "I think it is cool", but
maybe that is too juvenile even for UKNM :-> ).

Lots of other companies are putting ".com" on the end of their name in order
to bump up their share prices, without actually going through the business
transformation, supply chain consolidation, online order entry, fulfillment
stuff and everything else required to be a REAL internet company.

But I think Iceland is doing this stuff; I think they "get it" about what
it means to move beyond bricks and mortar.

Also, the name change may be as much for internal consumption as external.
Changing the name of a division, or even the entire company, is a popular
tool in a senior manager's box of tricks to communicate to recalcitrant
middle managers that Big Changes really are happening.

In a lot of ways, all of us trying to build an internet company out of
nothing have got it easy... we may moan about how difficult it is to
find good people, etc. etc. But I think that turning a company like
Iceland, with its thousands of low-tech, non techie employees, into an
internet company is a LOT harder than building one from scratch. I admire
the people who are trying and I think that the name change probably makes

their job a bit easier. If nothing else, it shows that the company is
totally committed to what they are doing.

Cheers
Sean

Sean Phelan seanatmultimap [dot] com http://www.multimap.com
phone (within UK): 020 7433 0460 fax (UK): 020 7681 2094
phone (Int'l): +44 20 7433 0460 fax: +44 20 7681 2094