Subject: Re: UKNM: AOL Going Free
From: jim smith
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 17:42:47 +0100

At 4:05 pm +0100 on 10/5/99 you said:
>On Mon, May 10, 1999 at 07:15:51AM -0400, azeem azhar, lists wrote:
>
>> screaming doesn't really have very many positive connotations. with fear
>> about unsuitable material the number one worry of new internet users (and
>> the disconnected), screaming.net is hardly a good choice for a service
>> launching in 1999.
>
>Screaming to me in a net context could suggest "screaming fast" or
>"screaming along" which is positive.
>
>One drawback of the name is that "screaming" is too common a word to
>search for on the net. Maybe net companies should name themselves with
>unique names that aren't common words in order to make web searches
>easier.

how about numbers? that's nice and neutral (with the obvious exceptions).
then UK websites in central london could have an 0171 prefix instead of
that pesky .co.uk that doesn't tell you anything you really need for a
highly targetted local media campaign of tandoori house banners.

course, we'd probably have to change it every now and then. maybe the
governement should set up a committee or something. ofweb?

jim smith - jimatflenser [dot] co [dot] uk - http://www.flenser.co.uk 0961 319040
everything has been said, provided words do not change their meanings or
meanings their words -- alpha 60