Subject: Re: UKNM: So, any techys from BOO like a job?
From: Felix Velarde
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 18:09:09 +0100

hiya Jude

on 18/5/00 i read:

>Felix Velarde wrote:
>>
>> Sorry to be so uncharitable, but weren't the techies one of the
>> causes of the low-flying (nay, hedge-trimming) start that BOO, er,
>> enjoyed?
>
>Bloody well doubt it. I'd imagine it's much more likely the people who
>were insisting that they had to have some sort of online
>magazineshite/flash navigation/windows popping up left right and
>centre/zoomy/spinny crap "'cause it would be really cool and really
>stand out from the crowd, and we want it next week" etc etc. In my
>experience of working on this sort of thing it's not techies that argue
>for that sort of pointless pap, but rather the big cheeses with no
>experience of the web/ marketing department.

dead right. but, if asked to implement a solution that the decision
maker believes strategically right (whether or not it is), any techie
worth his or her salt gets it right. a crap techie does half a job. a
good techie finds a way of delivering. a good techie chief gets the
right people in. so, i stand by my comments.

>Not that I have any insider knowledge of Boo or anything..
>
>> I agree with that statement - I hope it will make people realise that
>> it isn't just good spiel that counts. With any luck it might also
>> make VCs realise that getting the marketing right first time is the
>> most important aspect of any business
>
>What?!?!?? Don't think the demise of Boo has much to do with poor
>marketing, to be honest...

i completely and utterly disagree. forgive the plug, but please see
the comments in marketing magazine next week for a full explanation.

felix

--
Felix Velarde, CEO, Head New Media office + 44 (0)20 7737 7579
http://www.head-newmedia.com mobile + 44 (0)777 557 2000