Subject: RE: UKNM: ADMIN: Times are a changin'
From: Jim Sterne
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 16:41:55 +0000 (GMT)

At 01:45 AM 11/9/98 , Steve Johnston/IMRG wrote:

>I expressed my concerns in terms of the lists growing popularity and how
>the references to media publicity at the time would accelerate this. Not
>because I am elitist, but because as the list grows, the productivity will
>fall.

Jim steps up - a bit chagrinned - and agrees.
You're quite right that as new people join the
list, they will ask the same questions again
and again. Glenn's original list spawned quite
a few others in its wake and they are all at
various of youth. That's why I continue to
subscribe to UKNM - the members are stiff chewing
on interesting bits without over doing it. Yet.

At 11:18 AM 11/9/98 , Sam Michel wrote:

>Maybe, although I'd like to think not. I suspect the dynamics of a mailing
>list are a great deal more complex than the simple equation of more
>subscribers = repeating subjects = boring list. We shall see.

So far, that's what we've seen. Steve Johnston read the
Internet Marketing posts and that's what happened there.

>On the hand [says Sam]
>you could look at the Online-Ads list run by Richard Hoy
><http://www.o-a.com/>. Although the traffic is pretty chunky, I think he
>does a pretty decent job of keeping the list on topic.

Yes he does, but Internet advertising is a much newer
topic of discussion. More important, it is a marketplace
unto itself. When Thunderlizard put on the Web Marketing 98
conference, lots of people came to learn how to do Web sites
well. When they put on Web Advertising 98, lots of people
came to talk about buying and selling --- to each other!
It was a schmooze fest. ad:tech was the same way. The
industry was coming together for a meeting of the clans.

That makes banners, etc. a more volatile discussion and
one that has a lot further to go before it starts to repeat.

>The alternative to this is a much stricter
>moderation policy and an archive of the messages for folks to look at
>before posing obvious questions.

Glenn gave that a shot and I recommend it highly. If for
no other reason than everybody can feel free to ask a
"dumb" question, and the good souls on the list can
say, "Go look in the archive under the thread entitled
'xyz' and tell us if there's something in addition to
that you'd like to know."

>Whatever
>happens, it's likely to be a while before sheer numbers overwhelm us.

Due to the laws of lurking, it won't be the numbers of
readers, it will be the repetition of discussion. One
alternative is to start a new list called UKNM-Old-Farts.

The original UKNM can roll on and on and the same questions
can be asked by new people in new and interesting ways and
the Old Farts can move into the parlour with the cigars
and brandy.

Steve finished up with:

>I do however reject your suggestion that I am freeloading. My contribution
>to this community is without doubt professionally motivated, but I care
>that it is an effective debating ground, as there is a constituent to my
>participation that is to do with loyalty to my profession as opposed to
>loyalty to my employer.

Yes, yes and hear, hear and three pats on the back.
This list is better because you participate - yes.
Your opinions are some of the more well considered
and better expressed- yes.

But Sam does the work.

At the end of the day, Sam has to empty the ash trays
and sweep the floor. For that he deserves more than a
clap on the back and a "Hail fellow, well met."

Jim Sterne Target Marketing of Santa Barbara
jsterneattargeting [dot] com http://www.targeting.com
Author, Speaker, Consultant +1 805-965-3184
Internet Marketing & Customer Service Strategy Consulting
Subscribe today to the mostly monthly "Full Sterne Ahead"