Subject: Re: UKNM: more Tesco ranting... Kosher food and customer service
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 10:15:02 GMT

Tim Ireland <timatdesignercity [dot] com> said:

>The kosher button is there for stores that *do* have suitable products in
>stock. If your local store is *not* one of them, you can email them via the
>site/software, or have a quiet word in the manager's shell-like.

The real point is, that the customer went to the store with an expectation
of a wide choice of Kosher food. Having arrived he was told "go away, we
ain't got none." The fact that another store in another town might have the
goodies is of no consequence, just another poor excuse for poor customer
service.

If each Tesco store is going to have its own product list, then it behoves
Tesco Direct to drop the false expectations created by a single online store
approach. Clearly whoever briefed/built Tesco Direct did not take this into
account.

Sure, if a store hasn't got something you want, you could send an email
asking that they get the item in stock. But why bother? Chances are you will
not get a reply, and even if you do, it's a lot easier to click off to
another store - except of course that in the UK online stores are still a
bit of fun and an excuse to waste some time griping to email lists. So Tesco
and all the others have still got time to put it right, but not much time.

One day, someone (presumably someone American like Walmart/Asda?) will set
up in these islands an online store that is not tied to the crap British
notion of customer service, and that offers excellent, seamless and
faultless customer service of a kind that will be more recognisable as 21st
century than 19th. When they do this, they will win such customer loyalty
they will be unassailable.

I'll mention this to Terry next time I see him. I think Tesco Direct's heart
is in the right place. Just needs someone to make it happen.

Ray Taylor