Subject: UKNM: Blind Blind Blind (was two launches and two funerals)
From: Richard Longhurst
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 11:59:51 GMT

Speaking of user interfaces, did anyone see that...

"The National Federation of the Blind filed a federal suit against AOL for
making its service inaccessible to the
blind. The suit claims AOL violated the Americans with Disabilities Act by
failing to make its service compatible with programs designed to help blind
people..."

And, coincidentally I got the following mail on Rich Clickings over the
weekend...

> > body: Hi
> > I'm a Campaigns Officer at the Royal National Institute for the Blind.
My
> area of interest is ensuring that people with sight loss or blindness are
> able to get maximum benefit from the Internet.
> > I read about your site in Internet Advisor (Oct 99), and as you ask for
> feedback I thought you might be interested to know more about accessible
> design. There may be some really simple changes you could make to your
site
> and service to ensure that more people with sight problems can use them.
> I've put together some info on the Web at http://www.rnib.org.uk/digital
> > I hope you find this useful. Please don't hesitate to contact me if I
can
> be of further help.
> > Best wishes
> > Julie Howell
> > JHowellatrnib [dot] org [dot] uk
> > 0171-391 2191

The RNIB site has a cheesy doohickey called 'Bobby' that checks your site
for ease-of-use for blind people. Needless to say, Boo.com doesn't do too
well, but then nor did Rich Clickings and I doubt many of our sites will.

Of course, blind Net users are a pretty small market - probably as niche as
you can get. While it's easy to say a site isn't designed site for 'lowest
common denominator' users without Flash and fast modems, what are you going
to say to blind people who want to visit and buy from you? Or aren't there
enough of them to matter?

Could I be arsed to incorporate Bobby's suggestions in Rich Clickings? No,
but I might be able to find time tomorrow. Or possibly the day after.

Richard

--
Richard Longhurst
PC Format - http://www.futurenet.co.uk/