Subject: Re: UKNM: boo.com - more invective
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 12:17:59 GMT

From: Ian Betteridge <ianbatwell [dot] com> said:

>Completely, utterly wrong. Cardinal rule of marketing, Ray, as you should
>know, is that if you undersell and over deliver your customers are
>surprised, happy

Thanks for the tip. From now on I will tell sales prospects that if they
trust us with their online advertising budgets we will try to do a
reasonable job.

>Of course there's bad news. If you here from all your peers that a site
>sucks, you don't go there. It's as simple as that.

1. I have a problem with use of the term "sucks", as I am never sure whether
it is a derogatory reference to oral sex (which personally I can see no
objection to) or if it means that the site you are talking about has pulling
power. Please clarify.

2. If you mean that if you here (sic) from your peers that a site is not
very good, you don't go there then in my case you are wrong. Before I heard
from UKNM that boo was so awful I had not looked at the site. But since I
heard so much about it from my "peers" (term used loosely in this case) I
felt obliged to take a look. By the same token I often go see films that are
slated by the press. Perhaps I am just too much of a rebel.

>>> it's about understanding what internet product and business design is
>> about.
>>
>> Tell me more, I am still (like most other mortals) struggling with this
>> concept.
>
>Build community. Don't put people off with shitty design. It's not rocket
>science.

If only I had asked you first, Ian, I could have saved myself several years
trying to learn the hard way.

Ray Taylor