Subject: Re: UKNM: CallNet0800 - Oh, no, not more regulation
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:46:17 GMT

Lee Rickler <leeatdjindex [dot] com> said:

>Too often over the last few years massive promises have been made by web
based companies and then we all get let down.
>As i said about 3 years ago ... its about time an official body was formed
to protect the public.
>And i'll probably say it in another 3 years time.

If any merchant is not fulfilling its obligation to provide sufficient
security for its transactions then that should be dealt with by the
Visa/Mastercard/etc.

Any other promises not fulfilled by web based companies should be dealt with
by the market using that old-fashioned regulator supply and demand - ie
customers increasingly demand a higher level of service, those that don't
supply it will be supplying P45s instead.

The LAST thing this industry needs is more regulation by an "official body."
And there is already a big enough body of consumer laws to "protect the
public" without dreaming up a new committee of electronic public safety.

If you don't like boo, don't use it. If Tesco Direct don't measure up, use
Iceland. And if someone rips off your credit card details, call the credit
card security hotline (usually 24 hours) and tell the police. Better still,
don't give your credit card details to anyone you don't trust.

Ray Taylor
Imagine - a new century without war, without famine, and where nobody gets
paid for sitting around a table all day with a bunch of blokes in suits. You
may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one, etc.