Subject: UKNM: Submit or not to submit?! (was Excite's Less Than Exciting Customer
From: Graham Hansell
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 17:08:55 GMT

Service)
Sender: owneratchinwag [dot] com

Nick

Just to try to help clear a few things up.

1 - You are right Excite's directory results are drawn from LookSmart's
index which is actually where you paid to submit to.
2 - If your site is already in Looksmart they won't register it again
3 - Excite's spider is not part of this deal therefore Excite won't update
it's index for the $199
4 - I'm sure you have tried just resubmitting to the Spider index (on page
http://www.excite.com/info/add_url_form ) but this is the only direct way
to "prod" the spider to revisit your site.
5 - Make sure you resubmit links point to your site from other sites -it
does increase that chance of the spider finding you
6 - Excite's spider indexing is terrible and has been out of date for a
long time. They have claimed to have re-released it but even though we have
seen a little spider activity the updates are still month's away.

I think you have been confused (quiet understandably on your part) by the
way Excite is selling it's partnership deal with Looksmart.

I think you have been sold one thing for another and really need to give
LookSmart a ring to explain (Excite will just claim that Looksmart handles
it for them).

As for a SE marketing company. I know a man ....

Graham Hansell
==================
Sitelynx Search Marketing
==================
European search engine marketing for WEB � WAP � & Interactive TV
------------------
http://www.sitelynx.com
Direct dial - +44 (0) 20 77291249
147 Curtain Road
London, EC2A 3QE, UK
==================
"Design For Visibility - Use the language of your audience, be nice to
Spiders, helpful to Editors & build popularity loops"

> [...]
> >
> > Just thought I'd share my grief with you in the selfish hope it would
>lessen
> > the pain, oh yes, and so other people can learn from my errors ! I used
>the
> > Excite $199 48hr/fast submission service in the hope that they would
>update
> > the (now-obsolete-and-never-submitted-but-somehow-spidered) entry for
our
> > site. Two weeks on and with nothing happened I explained my dilemma to
>their
> > customer service - was my site in line to be indexed ? Had I made a
>mistake
> > ? What else could I do to get my entry updated ?
> >
> > I had an amazing reply, basically saying the fast submission counted for
> > diddly squt ($199 well spent there) and that they could not guarantee
> > including my site. I replied, somewhat puzzled, a) because if there are
no
> > guarantees their sales copy is wrong/naughty/misleading/total w*nk
[delete
> > as applicable] and b) because they had already indexed my site at some
>time
> > in the past and I just wanted to know if it would be updated. I also
>wanted
> > to be clear that by paying for their service I was entitled to some
>customer
> > service.
> >
> > Their fantastic reply, ignoring everything I had asked/raised, merely
>stated
> > that Looksmart handled their directory and I should consider submitting
my
> > site to them (odd given that they are included in the fast submission
> > service and they have already correctly listed my site).
> >
> > Is there any point in me trying to sort this out with Excite ? Berry's
law
> > dictates that if it looks like shit, sounds like shit and tastes like
shit
> > then in all probablility it is shit and is not going to get any better.
> >
> > Does anyone have a good experience of the fast submission services
offered
> > by search engines ? Does anyone know what I should/can do to get my site
> > listing updated ?? In fact, given my current boredom with search
engines,
> > can anyone please suggest a decent search engine optimisation company
that
> > will do it all for me ?
> >
> > regards
> >
> > nick
> >
> > Nick Berry
> > Marketing Manager
> > AdvertWizard - 'Internet Advertising Made Easy'
> >
> > nick [dot] berryatadvertwizard [dot] com
> > Tel: +44 (0) 208 591 1125 ext 223 mob: 07715 748894
> >
> > www.advertwizard.com
> > AdvertWizard is a free website promotion service that makes internet
> > advertising easy, instant and effective for businesses of any size

Sitelynx Search Marketing