Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: UKNM Digest V1 #770
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:54:14 GMT

Tom <tomattui [dot] co [dot] uk> said

> >I think what Ray is saying is that Web broadcasts are at a lower
resolution
> >than TV - so you can film it with a digital camera and post production
can
> >be done on a desktop, not in a studio @ �1K an hour plus all the cocaine
> you
> >can carry.
>
> Just because it is "the web" doesn't mean you can lower your production
> values. Crap always looks and sounds like crap. Which part of "the web"
> allows for low-quality production?

Don't remember Tim talking about lowering production values. And if you read
the point you quoted above, Tom, he stated clearly that "web BROADCASTS are
at lower resolution than TV." He was talking about the practice of
compressing video images for web broadcast - the fact that monitors produce
higher resolution images than 625-line TV screens makes no difference to
low-res, compressed web broadcast.

Why, oh why, do so many members of this list have to be so painfully
smart-arsed about technology? Why not contribute to the discussion instead
of just slagging other people off?

The reason (my view, not necessarily Tim's) that you can produce and
distribute more and better quality and more creative commercial content for
web than tv is that the distribution cost using the web (open system owned
by hundreds of thousands) is minimal in comparison to TV (closed system
monopolised by the few) and production costs are much smaller, too, for the
equivalent level of quaility (differences in technology allowing).

And no, Tim, it's not about using the web to produce poor-man's TV, it's
about making the best use of web tools and benefits to make sparkling and
super-creative content that would not be possible on TV. I am not saying
this _is_ done, I am saying it _can be_ done, and I hope will be done, just
as soon as the web production business progresses beyond hanging from its
mother's breast.

Let's get this point straight. If there was no TV and no Web and you had to
invent a broadcast system for live action, sound, graphics, text, etc., who
in their right mind in this day and age would specify a system that required
huge great iron monstrosities to be constructed every hundred kilometers to
distribute it, that had a maximum vertical resolution of 625 dots
(regardless of screen size), that could produce only a few k bytes of text
information, that sent it one way only, and which gave you a choice from
only five content suppliers?

If there is any justice in the world the web ought to be able to do a better
job of it. And before any other smart-arse tells me that the "bandwidth" of
the net is too narrow to be useful as a video broadcast system, bear this
one thing in mind. I have just had a bunch of telephone (invented c.100
years ago) lines put in to a new office. The heavily protected state
monopoly that provided this service chose to scrabble around in muddy holes
in the ground in order to place heavy copper (rare, expensive and
environmentally destructive to produce) cabling on a circuitous route into
the building, rather than use the glass (cheap, abundant,
environment-benign) fibre (practically unlimited bandwidth) that was
previously installed in the building by the said same bunch of protected
species. The point? We have the technology, but unfortunately it is in the
hands of a bunch of monkeys.

So, the choice is yours. Twenty-first century or twentieth.

I sometimes think this list should be renamed the UKTVA discussion group -
UK TV Apologists' discussion group.

Anyone got anything good to say about the web today, or is _everyone_
reeling from investor uncertainty?

Ray Taylor

Seminars, exhibitions, networking events, parties, conferences.
Finding it difficult to keep up and plan ahead?

Sign up for Chinwag's weekly new media events newsletter,
all the events you need to know about, direct to your inbox.

http://www.chinwag.com/uk-netmarketing/e_index.shtml