Subject: Re: UKNM: Half of UK sites are "broken"
From: Robert Hamilton
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 14:52:50 +0100

Philip wrote:

>And we wonder why clients don't take new media seriously.
>
>I appreciate that not everyone has the resources that we do to get it
>right first time. But this is still serious? Do we need some kind of
>Policing, Guild of Master Website Builders, Blacklist or other form of
>cowboy outfit killer?

Well, no I don't think we do. Many attempts to set such things up have
failed over the last few years.

Broken links and other basic faults are generally the result of human error.
If you look at sites built on top of databases, which are automatically
generated, they are far less likely to contain such schoolboy errors. Alas
the bodgers who throw a few pages together and call it a website don't
understand or contemplate such delights.

As time goes by, web development will increasingly involve aspects of
true software development. And yes, this makes it more complicated.

The thing I think we're in danger of overlooking here is that there are poor
services in all industries. I see lots of cheap, badly produced TV ads
(although I have to say Carlton/LWT suffers from far fewer of these than many other
regions), reams of terrible print work (no, not just ads, letter heads,
business cards etc.) and too much badly written software. Perhaps my rose tinted
spectacles need new batteries, but I don't think that web design suffers any
more than most sectors from poor work. One of the differences is that large
client companies seem rather too pre-disposed to buying such bad work in
new-media. Whether this is because they don't believe that you (usually)
get what you pay for, or simply because they don't know what they want to
achieve.

Many of us have been trying to overcome these issues for years now, with
varying degrees of success.

Clients don't take new-media seriously for all sorts of reasons.

There are large chunks of new-media that *I* don't take seriously.

<PRE-EMPT>
And, I'm sure, there are large chunks of new-media that don't
take *me* seriously.
</PRE-EMPT>

PS Wouldn't it be embarrassing if someone found a broken link on one of
Port 80's sites...
Robert Hamilton - robertatbrandwidth [dot] co [dot] uk
Creative Consultant, brandwidth
0171 697 0049

0973 989 208