Subject: FW: UKNM: DTV (Was Free ISPs...)
From: Moisan, Chris - One Ldn
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 17:55:25 +0100

Without Prejudice

Re: Interactive TV BIB, ON Digital etc...

I believe it is quite simple why the likes of BIB are going to offer walled
garden internet access. Their biz model (and forecast profitability)is based
on achieving critical mass from existing and new subscribers. The cost of
the set-top boxes + related infrasturcture is a significant barrier to
achieving this critical mass so by subsidising these boxes this barrier is
removed. However, partners in the project like Midland would obviously want
to restrict consumers from accessing other banks via the net to protect
their investment - hence the walled garden.Otherwise other banks could
simply offer internet banking and piggy back on Midland's investment.

Putting aside the argument of how the investors protect their investment -
the most disappointing element of the forthcoming interactive services is
that they cut out the services which have arguably made the net so
successful such as porn, interest groups, discussion forums, communities of
interest etc...and therefore the NET will survive beyone the current Digital
Interactive offerrings for this reason.

All this being said, I personally hope interactive TV is a success as
consumer awareness of all things interactive can only be good for me us all.

Chris Moisan
OgilvyInteractive

0171 566 7280

chrismatogilvy [dot] co [dot] uk