Subject: Re: UKNM: Half of UK sites are "broken"
From: David Bentley
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 15:24:02 +0100

Lee Rickler wrote:

>On an average site, (approx 100 pages), I suspect that it wouldn't take
>more than an hour to spell check and another hour on the finished site to
>link check on a _very_ slow machine.
>
>I run a site, djindex.com, that has approx 500 pages, over 1,000 elements
>in total. Recently I did a spell and link check on the whole project at
>once and it took 10 minutes.

I do hope for your sake that you are spending more than 2 hours on QA and
copy!! I cannot comprehend comprehensive QA taking 2 hours!! Is this the
source of all the problems I wonder?? (I am not picking on you Lee)

QA is a comprehensive programme checking and analysis of all elements of
the site not just on browser platforms but under different connection
scenarios etc... etc... QA should happen over a 10 day to 2 week period
minimum (that is not full-time work though) and allowing more time for
changes.... This process is as important as any other part of a project
prior to launch....

And that is just the beginning - on going maintainence must have time
dedicated to maintaining the integrity of the site.

>>>It really isn't that hard to maintain a site, (quality Project manager
>>>anyone?), especially with the tools available today.
>>It is all about money most of the time - no budget; no QA.
>
>That's my problem .... I'm a <new term>Wippy</new term>. In a sense it
>means that I have a hippy attitude to my web work. Passion for the
>project is, in my mind, more important than finance.

Oh dear.... For me this identifies part of the problem. The pricing of
any project must include certain fundamental areas. QA is most definately
one of them. Without the incentive 'to deliver' it could well not be done
- payment for those services is that incentive...

....and that brings us back to those companies who fit under the 'cowboy
outfits' catagory who charge but don't deliver. Where's the Sheriff?!

Is all this 1.01?

David
David Bentley
Account Director, Interactive