Subject: RE: UKNM: chartered status for web professionals
From: Felix Velarde
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 20:49:21 +0100

On 13/10/98 I read:

>> Chartered Status? good idea, but the success of it relies on the
>> certificating authority being trustworthy.

>Peer review for third parties seems like a better approach than
>direct application: it'll be interesting when the full details emerge.
>Still, I can't help thinking that in this business, you're as good
>as your last site, and that's what gets you noticed. And given the
>caballerie of london.new.media, that's what will get you work.

There is, and has been since '96, the very authority that seems to be
under discussion here, with several thousand members, and based on
peer review - the Internet Professional Publishers' Association
(IPPA), at http://www.ippa.org. This body is one of the few that
generally seems to be universally respected, is actually qualified to
judge what is and is not 'proper' (most UK bodies are hopeless when
it comes to their ability to judge, or have been set up purely for
self-serving purposes along the same lines as most UK awards bodies
in our 'sibling' industries), and is quite happy to tell you when you
are wrong, out of line, or have sold your integrity for the price of
a cup of tea. They keep telling us when we ignore WebTV's browser :(

hope that's of use

Felix Velarde

Managing Director Head New Media

[ success is about interaction ]