Subject: Re: UKNM: Banner ads served by Scoot
From: Duncan Clubb
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 10:00:49 +0100

A while ago I went through the immense pain that is the Scoot sales pitch.
Apart from being very unhappy with the concept that I could pay to have my
company come up top in any post code I wanted (not necessarily the one we are
in), which devalues the whole directory idea, I decided to check on the details
that were currently held for us. Imagine my surprise when our address came up
as one that we had moved out of nearly 3 years previously - so I said to the
*salesman* that it was a bit rich asking me to pay whatever it was when our
entry was so out of date. Their response? 'Oh, we get our address database from
Dun & Bradstreet - you should get in touch with them - it's nothing to do with
us'. Oh really - your main asset, your directory listings, are nothing to do
with you and you don't care enough to ensure that the information you serve is
correct. I think my response was similar to 'go forth and multiply', and my
opinion has not since changed.

Aye
duncan

Kevin Rice wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> In Febuary 1998 we registered for a preferential listing in Scoot`s online
> directory. Our website advertises our internet training courses and so we
> were entered into Scoot's "Computer Training" directory. The contract was
> for one year, but our listing was not very effective, in terms of lead
> generation, and so we did not renew our subscription in Feb 99.
>
> Today we looked to see if we were still listed amongst the rank and file of
> non-paying organisations. We were, and out of interest we clicked on the
> link that Scoot provided to our website. We were then very surprised to see
> that an additional frame had been added to the top of our site and within
> this frame was an advert for Waitrose!

[Sam says: original post chopped for brevity]