Subject: Re: UKNM: ad targeting techniques
From: Zelda Rhiando
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 17:42:55 +0100

Hello,

In answer to your question, it's questionable whether there's a direct
correlation between these two statistics. Certainly there are other
factors: a more net savvy audience (who know what they're looking for and
where to find it); growing numbers of channels for advertising which reduce
click through on banners, as well as proliferation of formats - rich media,
etc. All of these could reduce the percentage of click through that is
accidental, motivated by curiosity or just serendipity...

It may be that profiling is not as accurate as it appears - and often
offers content to users that is only indirectly relevant. It may be that
their consequent irritation at what they will come to perceive as spam will
reduce the likelyhood of their responding to the banner advertising at all?

But then what would I know about advertising -

Regards,

Zelda

>Dear all,
>
>Over the last 2 years (approx.) the big US advertising networks have shifted
>from content based targeting to targeting based on sophisticated personal
>profiling techniques. Over the same period average click-thru rates have
>fallen from 3% to 1%. Are the new techniques proving effective?
>
>Kevin

[ zelda rhiando | convergent media producer ]
[ deepend london | +44 171 247 2999 ]
[ http://www.deepend.co.uk ]

[ 07930 451 443 ]