Subject: Re: UKNM: Regional Marketing (Was: ADMIN: Slow ole list...)
From: Tom Hukins
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 10:25:51 +0100

I wrote:
>> Here in Aberdeen, many of the large department stores display signs each
>> August saying "This store will be open on the forthcoming Bank Holiday" or
>> similar. Right now many of these stores are promoting all the usual "Back
>> to School" stuff even though local kids went back to school two weeks ago.
>>
>> I'm sure everyone on this list knows how important it is to use different
>> marketing strategies for different countries. However, British firms must
>> also learn how to market to different areas of the UK.

Harry Parkes replied:
>Fair point, but what's it got to do with an industry mailing list run on a -
>generally ;) -non-commercial basis?

Perhaps I didn't make my point clearly enough. I'll try to clarify what I
was getting at.

The Internet allows companies to sell all over the world. Indeed, that's
what this list is all about (from the perspective of the UK). In order to
do this, companies have to get to grips with different ways of selling to
different countries and different cultures. We all know this.

However, The Internet also brings greater opportunities for UK companies to
sell to different areas of their own country. Department stores (and
others) have failed to account for regional differences. I hope Internet
companies do not fall into the same traps, but instead are able not only to
appreciate the difference in selling abroad, but also the difference in
selling to different areas of the UK.

Tom

--

Learn how to create amazing web sites

Visit eBORcOM's Web Development Resources
http://www.eborcom.com/webmaker/