Subject: Re: FLASH: FLASH : getting a bit confused !
From: John Croteau
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 05:07:09 GMT

Hi Ben,

> Am I correct in assuming that it is best, and most efficient to have
> as littlle as possible "tweening" in the main timeline (be it shape
> or motion)?
No, it is often just slightly less efficient byte wise to put things in
MCs but it is generally better design because of the flexibility and
potential options.

> I am lead to believe that all-or most- tweenig must happen in MC's .
Not at all, it just that keeping everything on the main timeline is very
unflexible and can make making changes in structure very difficult.
Movie Clips (and Load Movie) also make it possible to have more than one
unsynchronized action happening at the same time.

> Just too get it straight , is this the msot efficient method , and
> most likely to produce a nicely streaming movie ?
It depends, there is no one answer to such a broad question.

Flash loads one layer after the other, one frame after another.
Nothing can play until everything in a particular layer is loaded and
that can't happen until everything in previous layers and frames are
loaded first.

Use the Report and Bandwidth Profiler to determine how well a movie will
stream.

A movie that streams well loads frames (on the main timeline) as fast or
faster than it needs them to play. A movie that streams well should be
light in its first frames.