Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash vs. Dir for CD-rom development?
From: David Gary
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 06:13:07 +0000 (GMT)

Brad Bechtel wrote:

> Could you post your duties at MM? What dept do you rep?
>
> Don't you read the about box credits? I'm wounded...<insert grin thingie here>

Oops sorry. Im bad about that, is there an (credits)easter egg in the player?<g> You know Dir plays credits with a certain command.

> I'm in Quality Assurance (sometimes also referred to as Quantity Assurance). I've been working on various products (Action!, Director, SoundEdit, Backstage, etc.) since I started here in 1992. Take whatever I've said so far with a grain of salt in direct proportion to what you feel Flash should be doing.
>
> Rather than continue misunderstanding each other in front of the rest of the Flasher list, I invite you to take our discussion offline.

I be glad to discuss it further Brad. However my original question still hasnt been answered and that is; why is Flash so processor hungry when animated imported bmps. Playback of the swf is extremely sluggish even on an upscale processor. Dir animation when triggering .mov or avi files is much smoother on the same
processor. Does this have something to do with the compression of the video file itself?

> I don't normally use the big <g> icon thingie or the :^) emoticon to indicate kidding; you can certainly include <GRIN> before and after the "screwdriver to drive nails" statement.

Sorry, I type fairly fast and usually dont reread what I type. SOmetimes I forget<g>.

> I do feel that Flash is capable of being used for CD-ROM development. I also feel that a lot of things that people try to do with Flash are better done with other products, specifically Director.

Yups its to bad, bad design has to interfere with topic of debate. I dont blame the hammer
when the nail is crooked, just the inexperience of the carpenter.
Its kinda like skating by a couple of pretty girls on rollerblades and all of a sudden eating pavement. Embarasing huh? Dont look at your skate like a bearing froze or a rock got caught
in the wheel, suck it up like a real man and lick you wounds!<bg>

-DG-