Subject: RE: FLASH: Need help on Flash CBT project
From: Len Harrison
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 06:09:19 GMT

Hi Stephen,

I'd do this a bit differently than others suggested but not much.
Suggestions have more to do with instructional methods than Flash. When a
learner walks through a set of questions like this they quickly become bored
with the repeated feedback. I don't care how cute or how fancy your "You got
that one right!" animation is, I'm going to be pretty sick of it after nine
or ten repeats.

So, instead of one correct animation and one incorrect, I'd make ten of each
if I had ten questions. Yeah, it's more work, but do you really want your
learners to hate you or would you rather they thought you were cool?
Handling the corrective track is up to you. I don't know your audience or
your material. You might want to make that scenario move from consoling to
absolute ridicule with a comic twist if you felt it would be effective or
more probably adopt some kind of conciliatory, encouraging tone. Personally,
I'd use the negation to review the material but that's up to you. For the
winners I'd make each animation progressively more spectacular with a real
big payoff for every one right. If you set up their expectations properly,
they'll get the idea. If what you do is cool, you may find they take the
test more than once in an attempt to get every answer correct so they can
see the final animation.

I'd use two or three movie clips in this case rather than frames within a
single clip. Each frame of each clip is itself a clip. Your buttons
telltarget to one or the other clip and advance it one frame. This also lets
you appraise the learner of their progress. "You now have one answer
correct. That's a start..." The third clip, if you chose to use it would
appraise the user of the total number of questions answered so they could
see how well they were doing. "You've answered 3 questions so far", etc.

As far as timing goes, I'd reduce the delay just a bit for each progressive
question. Not enough to be noticeable, but right at the edge. If you use
script for that it's setTimeout(function,msec). You can declare msec as a
global so it keeps its value and then decrement it each go around. Otherwise
just jump to a later frame in your timing loop. Bringing the questions up
faster will increase involvement. Keeping it the same has a kind of dulling
effect.

Just my $.02

len harrison
instructional designer