Subject: RE: UKNM: Brand-building banners
From: Marcus Exall
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 11:49:19 GMT

I do agree that most users' experience of the web is poor - a bit like
owning a car ten years after it was invented - rather slow and unreliable,
and all of us involved in the industry have to work to overcome this, and an
improvement in banners and Internet advertising in general has to be top of
the agenda.

We could get into a long debate about advertising vs payment for
subscription models, but the reality is advertising on the web is here to
stay - we just have to find ways to make it more relevant to the user, or,
dare I say it, viewer.

One thing I am puzzled about is that people talk about the intrusive nature
of banners but don't seem to go on about TV or Radio advertising, which I
find far more intrusive. In this way, I would say the banner is an
improvement.

Any thoughts?

Marcus