Subject: Re: Flash 3 FAQ?
From: Wayne Townsend
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 16:55:14 +0100

>I am new to Flash. Can somebody tell me what is good of Open File
>format?

It's very good news, that's what it is.

It's an effort by MM to make Flash a true web standard.

With an open file format, other application developers get the code & can
write to it. It becomes possible for other applications developers to
write Flash movie editors.

It also allows the browser people to incorporate it through a license.

So, this could result in no need for a plug-in, as it would be built into
the browser, starting with the version 5's.

Looks as though MS is going to be a problem though, because as usual, they
are pushing a different standard, in an ongoing effort to control
everything. - like Java & JavaScript

But this time, it's different. Flash does indeed have the momentum to
stand up to MS, by popular demand. 40 million downloads & 150k per mo.
can't be wrong.

Going open just sealed Flash's dominance in web vector graphics. Or at
least I hope so. MS & PGML can go fish. PGML is on paper. Flash is now.
Flash is better. Game Over.

Netscape & IE too, you just got the green light. Build-in Flash native. Do
it now.

/w

Wayne Townsend
WebStaffing.Net
Dallas, Texas
US- 972.713.8705
waynetatTopher [dot] Net (mailto:waynetatTopher [dot] Net)
wayneatWebStaffing [dot] Net (mailto:wayneatWebStaffing [dot] Net)
gscatOnRamp [dot] Net