Subject: Re: FLASH: the disney argument continues..
From: Brian
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 20:32:19 +0100

> Brian wrote :
> >If there was computer animation back in the days of 'Dumbo' and
'Fantasia',
> >there might be a fair comparison to be made here, but come on - that was
> >totally different era.
>
> I couldn't agree more, but it hardly seems to have changed at all since
> those days, and nowadays with so many people making animation, I think
there
> are a lot of people with more original ideas, than just re-doing any old
> story you can find that doesn't have a movie already.
> I'm sure you can admit that Disney is no longer something to go "oooohhh"
> about...

I always find at least a little something to "oooohhh" about in all Disney
feature animation.
They're in no way slackers. They do put out a heck of a product - but they
are not going to please everyone.

> Also, all Disney films are aimed at children, and I'm a bit fed up of it.
> I'd rather watch the Simpsons - which is quite clearly aimed more at
adults,
> as I'm sure half the kids that watch it don't understand a lot of the
> jokes..

'The Simpsons' take aim at current events and trends, something that is easy
to do on a weekly show where you have the chance to keep up with the times.
When you have a Disney animated feature production that can take three years
to do, where's your ability to keep current with the latest thing?
No, they have to go for more timeless stories and ways of telling them.

> And - I don't like musicals - and lets face it - Disney films do have a
lot
> of music in them - I wouldn't mind so much, if they'd only come into this
> century and realise you don't have to sing all the time to show your
> emotions.
> So come on Disney - drop the musical fad - it went out years ago...make
Phil
> Collins worry about where his next pay-check is coming from : )

I have to say I'm not a big fan of animated musicals, either, which is why I
liked 'The Iron Giant' so much.
Phil Collins won't need to worry about where his next paycheck is coming
from, but he does add to the musical misery, don't he?

-Brian Matthews

flasher is generously supported by...